Thursday, January 26, 2012

This is NOT a happy post (and it's political) but it gets better......

We just finished our taxes.

And now you know why this is not a happy post.

I'm not super savvy on all this taxing stuff so maybe someone can explain these things to me:
1-We are technically in the 15% tax bracket. How do they end up with 30% of our total income?
2-We made a lot less money this past year and we had a baby, so why are we getting a smaller return?
3-Ryan got a dividend (income) from his company that when entered into the tax software took a HUGE chunk out of our return. Then when entering in the money that we paid toward interest on our mortgage, this supposed "write-off" did not make us get anything more back.
4-They want you to declare any money that you have in off shore accounts. After items 1-3 happened I would NOT be declaring any money I had off shore. Now I'm looking into acquiring an off-shore bank account. Thank you Turbo Tax for the wonderful idea.
5-Ryan has an employee that is Native American. He doesn't have to pay anything in taxes, social security, FICA, etc., etc.. His Gross pay check is the exact same as his Net pay. He also files federal and state taxes. He just told Ryan on Monday that he will be getting back $7000 from a system that he doesn't even have to pay into.

I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!

Between business taxes and personal taxes I'm starting to believe that the government really wants to see our family on unemployement.

Why can't everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) just pay the same percentage of their income and just forget about all these deductions, write-offs, and refunds?

It seems to be working for the Church just fine.....

Sorry about this awesome post. I know these money things are always a little awkward to read (at least for me) but I was just so mad that I needed to tell someone.

Whew. Deep breaths. On to more excited news!

I'm totally kicking butt in our little "get back into shape" competition being held between Ryan and myself. Three weeks ago my goals were this:
1-be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping
2-weigh 140 lbs.

I've now decided to add a few things:
3-compete in the "Diva Dash" in Boulder, Colorado with the fabulous ladies in my family!
4-run my way through a pair of running shoes
5-finish the Neola 4th of July 1/2 marathon
6-I also want to run a mile a lot faster than I do right now

When I first started running at the gym it was the most pitiful thing ever! I was BARELY able to jog for a full three minutes. I thought I might throw up at the end. Yesterday, I ran the full 30 minutes and finished it with a minute of sprinting before cooling down! I've never been a runner but I understand how it could get addicting.
I've also listed that we are doing the "Diva Dash" this summer. It is an obstacle course and the best time wins. I'm under no illusion that I will win, but I do want to be able to finish every obstacle so I'm working on getting actual muscles. Pull-ups baby!

And that is pretty much all that is going on with me. Stratton is still awesome. He is rolling over each direction now and is starting to rotate around. I'm thinking he will start to crawl soon! We are trying to start him on some rice cereal because he doesn't stay full very long on just milk. I'm hoping it will help him stay asleep a little bit longer at night. Lastly I think he is almost done with all his physical therapy. He is looking both directions now and seems to use both sides of his body equally well so hopefully we won't have to do it anymore! Yay!

And I'm feeling a bit cooled down from my political rant earlier. Ahhh....thank you internet.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Dude. I'm with you on the equal tax percentages. And you can rant to me any time about money because I have NO reservations!! We've been on Medicaid and unemployment and WIC ... finally at a point where we can support ourselves and pay back to those programs, so I guess I can't complain about them. (Ever again.)
Also, I'm impressed with your fitness goals. Hopefully I can get back on that boat soon.